Jade Emperor's Mind Seal Classic
1. The Supreme Medicine has three distinctions:
Ching (essence), Qi (vitality) and Shen (spirit), which are elusive and obscure.
2. Keep to nonbeing, yet hold on to being and perfection is yours in an instant.
3. When distant winds blend together,
in one hundred days of spiritual work
And morning recitation to the Shang Ti,
Then in one year you will soar as an immortal.
4. The sages awaken through self-cultivation;
Deep, profound, their practices require great effort.
5. Fulfilling vows illumines the Heavens.
6. Breathing nourishes youthfulness.
7. Departing from the Mysterious, entering the female.
It appears to have perished, yet appears to exist.
Unmoveable, it's orgin is mysterious.
8. Each person has Ching.
The Shen unites with the Ching,
The Shen unites with the Qi,
The breath then unites with the true nature,
These terms appear to be fanciful exaggerations.
9. The Shen is capable of entering stone;
The Shen is capable of physical flight.
Entering water it is not drowned;
Entering fire it is not burned.
10. The Shen depends on life form;
The Ching depends on sufficient Qi.
If these are neither depleted nor injured
the result will be youthfulness and longevity.
11. These three distinctions have one principle,
Yet so subtle it cannot be heard.
12. Their meeting results in existence,
their parting results in nonexistence.
13. The seven apertures interpenetrate
and each emits wisdom light.
14. The sacred sun and sacred moon
Illumuniate the Golden Court.
One attainment is eternal attainment.
15. The body will naturally become weightless.
When the supreme harmony is replete,
the bone fragments become like winter jade.
16. Acquiring the Elixir results in immortality,
not acquiring it results in extinction.
17. The Elixir is within yourself,
It is not white and not green.
18. Recite and hold ten thousand times.
These are the subtle principles of self-illumination.
(Lu Szu-hsing's appended verses)
19. The two images of the dragon and tiger are unified through Qi;
Chaos blending as One.
20. It is not possible to attain the eternal just through invocations.
21. The Elixir is called Green Dragon and White Tiger;
The Elixir is in the nature of no-nature,
Emptiness of nonemptiness.
22. Even if you are unable to make use of the substance,
You can certainly make use of the function.
23. Frequently both the substance and conditions for the substance appear together,
although these are not always percieved as identical.
24. The ancients said, "the term *emptiness* embraces the entire teaching."
* Transliterated by Stuart Olson